Monday, March 29, 2021

Help Needed

 A week or so ago I posted a wee short video showing my Greenleaf Mckinley  on my Youtube Channel.  The house is 'mostly' done.  It is fully furnished but while I am thrilled with it, I know that it is missing something!!!!!  I have learned something about myself.....somehow my eye for making the houses look lived in and 'real' has disappeared.   And I'm struggling with that!!!!  I asked for help on that youtube channel.....and I'm going to ask for help here too!!!  I am showing the rooms and adding in the ideas that I was given and that I already have or have come up with.....but HELP!!!!


So here goes......

The kitchen



The kitchen definitely needs something also!  It was suggested a tea towel, a rug and a table.  I had resisted the idea of a table simple because of space.  But I am planning on adding one (I have a wooden one I can paint).    Throw your ideas at me!!!!
The Living Room 


The suggestions:  A teacup, books or vases in the cabinet, logs in the fireplace, a rug.   I have added a pack of cigarettes beside the ashtray (hey, I don't smoke but it IS a 1950's era house!)  What else????

The Nursery


The nursery...probably my favorite room!  It was suggested mess it up with some toys on the floor, someone suggested a rocking horse.  (which I happened to have one).  I am in the process of adding books and a rug....the rocking horse and a rocking chair.   But I don't want a 'sterile' nursery....I want a lived in nursery....help!  
The Bathroom

I actually think that I have this room pretty well done.  I need something on the wall behind the toilet.  Someone suggested a fish or something...but I'm open to ideas!
The Master bedroom

I have added some small rugs beside the bed.....and someone suggested a full length mirror (which will replace the rocking chair that I moved to the nursery) and a trunk at the end of the bed.   

So that seems to be my weakness......turning the dollhouse from a sterile neat home to a lived in house.  I am looking for inspiration to help get my creative juices flowing.

I know that once the ideas start flying at me that my brain will kick in with all sorts of things.  I have also come up with an umbrella /cane stand by the front door, radiators, pillows for the couch and window seats, light switches, and lights around the house.     SO if you have any other suggestions.....

If you want to see the short video......




5 comments:

  1. You've got a great start in all of the rooms making them look lived in! My suggestion would be to Google search "mess dollhouse" to get some good ideas. Also, my all time favorite blog for seeing realism in the rooms is Studio E:

    https://studioeminiatures.blogspot.com/2013/04/43-green-dolphin-street.html

    Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so very much! I will be googling and checking out that blog right now!!!

      Delete
  2. Mary Fran: I agree with Jodi - one of the best sources is to read through othe dollhouse miniature blogs, pinterest, instagram, etc. Certainly Elizabeth's houses are absolutely packed with character, as Jodi suggests. I am sure you will find inspiration there. I look forward to seeing what decisions you make in the end. Please share when the time comes! - Marilyn D.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I am slowly adding the few things that I’ve already come up with....and loving every minute!!! I will be researching very soon!!!

      Delete
  3. Hi!
    I looks great so far. But I suggest some people in there. A baby in the bed.
    Hugs Britt

    ReplyDelete