Tuesday, May 18, 2021

The yard and porch of the 1920’s House

I am totally kicking it into high gear on the house that is destined to be set in the 1920’s.   I have started work and I’m hot on the trail.  Ok, maybe that makes me sound more ambitious than I am.  High gear implies that I’m working fast and furious.  That is not the case.  I am slow and not even steady.  I work when I can find a spare moment.....a spare moment that allows me the opportunity to actually pull the supplies needed for whatever project out of the closet and into the living room where I work on a TV tray/table.  Not exactly the best workroom, but it’s what I have!

As soon as I got this house I knew it was going to be done in a 1920’s theme.  I also immediately knew that I needed the outside to be completed before I focused on the inside.  I can honestly say that I am done with the outside.  Or at least done enough with the outside.  (I still have a few random ideas for the outside).  

When I brought the house home I immediately spent some time painting and doing some basic repairs. But then the dollhouse sat for a while.  But then I knew it was time to get to work.

The first order of business for the dollhouse was to get it securely attached to a base.  I used a simple piece of plywood.   That left me a space for a yard.   I bought some squares of grass and attached that.   I used my standard egg carton stone work for the foundation and for a flagstone walkway.  I had pictures on my old phone...but that phone was lost during a wild morel mushroom hunting Expedition in the woods (ok it wasn’t all that wild...it just fell out of my pocket and since we were way off trail it was impossible to find since we had been traipsing off trail for more than 3 hours before I realized it was missing!)


I had purchased a small bike.  I was hoping it would look more like a high wheel bicycle...but it is more like a tricycle in size.  I am still pondering how to make a high wheel bike!     I also had a croquette set and a small dog house that I thought would look fun in the yard.

I knew that the porch need some items.  I had found some chairs at a Dollar General.  They were solid white, but I figured I could add some green trim to the chair and put it on the front porch.   I also knew that I wanted to have a milkman’s box.  That was an easy build!!!!

A house with all these ledges just screams for a birds nest.  So I made a birds nest...or two!

As I said, the outside is not totally done.  BUT, it is done enough that I felt comfortable actually turning the dollhouse around so that I can finally turn my attention to the inside!



1 comment:

  1. Super fun ideas Mary Fran! I just love the milk box!!! And the lawn looks lovely. It's great to hear that even with a small space to work you are not letting that get in the way of your creativity. The flower boxes look beautiful and the birds will sing out in gratitude for the homes you've provided. Great work and keep having fun!

    ReplyDelete