Tuesday, December 20, 2016

Books books books!

I moved the steps in the mini mansion and loved it.  The only thing I didn't like was the space under the steps.  Finally I decided on building a bookshelf for under the steps.   


I was nervous about it for sure!  But then I kept reading about people using foam board for building and decided to give it a whirl.  I am sooooo glad that I did!!!


I traced the space and cut a piece the shape of the under steps space.  It cut like butter with my exacto knife!  I dry fitted the shape and it fit perfectly.    I would like to say that I worked off of a pattern but I didn't.  I  knew a book would be about 9-10 inches tall...so I figured my shelves should have around a one inch (one foot ) opening.  I literally just cut and thought about each step and before I knew it I had a bookshelf that fit into the space perfectly!



I was charmed!  I was in love!!!


I am still leaning to no rail/banister on the steps as the room is so small.  But I knew I needed/wanted a rail around the steps  on the second floor.  So I started that.  The pieces I have were too big so off to the workshop I went.



Oops!!! I learned to take it very slow!!!



And I pieced the rails together (yeah I probably should have painted first!   And you can see how much I cut off in the picture!!



So the railing, steps and bookshelves need a nice coat of white paint and they will be ready for installation and books.


BOOKS!!!  I need books!!!


My supplies:

File folders (card stock)

White paper

Colored pencils

Glue

Scissors 

List of books (printed and shrunk as far as will fit on books)


I knew the rough size of a book to be about 3/4 of an inch so I cut a long strip of 3/4 inch wide cars stock.



I then cut the long strip into the width of the cover of the book.  Honestly I eyeballed it....but it is about 1.5 inches.  (And further down the assembly line I used a previous cut book cover as my template). I also marked the rough spots to fold the cover.



I colored the cover.  Since my house is set in the 1900's I didn't want fancy pictures....



I then folded the cover into a book shape.



I took the white paper and cut it in long strips (the width of a piece of paper) in 3/4 inch strips.



This strip of white paper I folded into an accordion shape.   Once again I eyeballed it and checked to make sure it would fit into the cover of the book I was working without overlapping.   I trimmed the top and bottom of the 'accordion' to make it nice and neat.



I then glued the inside binding of the cover and attached one of the 'accordion' pieces of paper. I held this with my fingers for a few seconds.



My first few attempts I wrote with a find pen the name of the book...and while it was cute I didn't like it.  



I decided to print up the names....so at this point I then took my printed list and cut one title out.


  I colored it the same color as the cover and glued it to the outside of the binding. Center and hold for a few seconds to make sure it adheres.




Set to dry and begin the next book!!!



Notes:


I chose titles that were historically  accurate.


The chairs will be reupholstered soon


The wallpaper is destined to go bye bye soon too!!

No comments:

Post a Comment