Wednesday, December 21, 2016

Jack of all trades

I had always wanted to work on dollhouses.  I remember when I was young...like earlier than 10 years old and going to a hobby shop (they sold model trains so we went frequently for my brother).  This hobby shop sold amazing (ok to a 10 year old maybe) dollhouse furniture and accouterments!  I know that as a kid I drooled and I know that as a kid, what was sold there was not 'toys' and therefore I didn't get more than a single piece or two from that store.


For years as an adult I dreamt about what I wanted to do with the log cabin that I was given as a child.  I never took more than the first preliminary steps to start....


In the meantime I was hopping from one craft to the next.   Literally!!  I would work on quilting and be hung ho on that.   Then I would get bored and decide that crochet was my thing.  I would crochet like a crazy women until I got bored.  Then....counted cross stitch!!!!  Yes I love counted cross stitch, count me in!   But yeah, that bored me after a bit too.   Scrap booking?  Yup..been there done that.  Rug hooking?  Absolutely!  Painting?  Yeah I dabbled!  Cake decorating?  Uh hu!!!   You name it, I have probably tried it!   (I should work at a craft store...I've dabbled in almost everything!). Jack of all trades, master of none!!!   Eventually in my travel through the circuit of all things craft I would make my way back to quilts...or back to cross stitch...or sewing...or whatever.  Until the wild hair struck and I was off on the next thing.  I cycled through crafts!


So last year when I actually got serious about dollhousing (Is that a word???  I like it as verb.) it came as no surprise to anyone.   What comes as a surprise to me is how well it is adaptable to someone like me that had had extensive 'training' in all manner of crafts.  I'm not a master at anything but I'm proficient  enough at a Lot of things to be able to work on my dollhouses!  My jumping from craft to craft taught my invaluable skills for dollhousing! 


Furthermore dollhousing is perfect because I can change direction and never get bored!


For example.....My last 24-48 hours?


I made bookshelves and worked on the railings....woodworking




I made books...paper crafting



Today I reupholstered chairs....


The red is the old one the gray the new!

Worked on a quilt for the log cabin rope bed and trundle bed.....



Stained the rope bed and trundle bed


Painted the mini mansion


Before...


After...with one coat of paint...



I also started fiddling with concepts to make a front door (there is none) and worked on crocheting a wee tiny Afghan!  


Wow...talk about going from one craft to another!   And guess what??  I love it!!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment