Monday, November 7, 2022

A paper crafted Outhouse 1:12 Scale

 Ok, actually I must NOT use the outhouse.  I actually hate to use them in real life.  But boy did I have fun making this outhouse!  This outhouse was a bit of a whim but also a wee bit planned in nature for a bigger project.

I had purchased some cat food and liked the size box that it came in.  It screamed perfect size for....an outhouse and it even had a door!   I was ready to roll!



I separated the front flap of the box from the main area and shored it all up with some masking tape. 
I cut a triangular piece and attached it to my box so that I would have a nice little peak and a small slope on my outhouse. 
I made sure that my front section with the door would work.

I decided to create my siding out of paper bags.  


I didn't grab many/any pictures.  But I cut the paper bags into flat sections and then I painted the paper a darker brown.   I grabbed my black paint and lightly brushed lines randomly to imitate the look of a wood grain.  I also made small '2x4's' to frame up the inside.  I painted them the same way. 

It was then time to glue the paper bag/siding into place.  I used glue sticks.  Nothing fancy!


I affixed my framing into place.

It was then time to make the wooden throne.  Of course I used cardboard.  In fact, I used some of the leftover pieces of cardboard from the same box.   I also decided that I wanted to have an adult sized throne and a kiddie sized hole.  So I made it two tiered.
I covered it with the same paper and glued it into place. 

Making sure to add actual 'holes' to make it look more real. 


I added a black painted half moon above the door and voila....an outhouse!

I didn't take pictures, but I used more cardboard to make a roof.  I covered the roof with aluminum foil and added a light coat of brown paint to the top of the foil to make the roof look old and rusy.  

I love my wee little dollhouse.   I have plans for a lantern and maybe even an old magazine (Sears and Robuck to keep with the historical feel).   I do have plans for where this outhouse will be residing.  It is for a larger project that I will be sharing very soon!  Until then...enjoy my paper outhouse!




1 comment:

  1. This is such a super fun and creative idea, MaryFran! There is nothing better than to be carried away by an idea and have it all fall into place! Can't wait to hear more about your "larger project"!

    ReplyDelete