Wednesday, November 30, 2022

Creatin’ Contest

​I don’t rightly remember how I found the Creatin’ contest on Miniatures.com.  It may have been through a YouTube video.  It possibly could have just been a random click while perusing the miniatures.com website.  But somehow early this year I found competition.  Should I?  Was my first thought.  No way I quickly told myself!  My creations are not competition quality, at least not in my mind.  But I kept going back to the contest pages.   Should I?


It was right about this time that I saw a little box that some cat food in that just screamed miniature sized outhouse!   I answered the call of my idea and I created a miniature outhouse…just the building.  I didn’t put it in a scene or make a scene with it.  I just made the outhouse.  But what to do with it?


No idea what to do with my randomly created outhouse, I went back to thinking about that contest.  Should I?  No… but then again….


By golly, I decided to do it!   It was a porch scene…what was somewhere near a porch in history?  An outhouse!  Even better, maybe I could incorporate some quilts, because I love to create miniature quilts!


What about doing the contest but doing a wash day scene!  Ohhh and I love kitchens, maybe I could build the house onto the porch and have a kitchen scene!  I plunked down my money and waited for my contest room box/porch to arrive.   I didn’t start working on it immediately….instead we bought a house and moved!  But I got to work on my project once we got settlers in.  I worked in fits and starts.  A bit here, a bit there.  


Immediately I realized that adding on the kitchen would make the project way too big.  I just don’t have room for a large finished project.  The yard and porch would be plenty big alone.  So I scrapped the kitchen idea.  But I still had plenty of ideas for my project.


Barn lantern in the outhouse?  Check!   Lamps in the windows?  Check!   Quilts on a clothesline?  Check. A tree with a treehouse?  Check!   


The contest entry had to be submitted by December 9th.   I work well with a deadline. It forced me to actually work on it, even when life got crazier and crazier.  I worked super early in the morning sometimes (4am miniature time?  It worked for me!).    Without the deadline I would have most likely pushed it aside and not completed it!


But complete it I did!   I took my pictures and I have submitted my entry!  A week before the deadline also!  At one point I was positive that I would be gluing and finishing things up at the last minute!


So here is my entry!  I was only allowed four pictures for my entry.  But hey…I obviously took plenty more so here is a mix of some of the pictures.












2 comments:

  1. Wow MaryFran! Talk about fitting so many major milestones into a year! I love your take on the Creatin" Contest porch, and how you incorporated your beautiful quilts into the scene! Everywhere you look there is layer upon layer of incredible detail, and it is easy for the viewer to see the fun you had creating this wonderful project! Best of luck in the contest!

    ReplyDelete