Sunday, December 25, 2022

Mini Memories - Johnstown Christmas

 Ok, In my post about my mom's Christmas gift I wrote about having a vision to do a room box based on a picture from a few years in time after the East Earl Room Box where we lived in a different house



I know I know.  I said I was going to work on the library of he 1920's era house.  And I did!  But I honestly NEEDED to do another room box.  I needed to do this room box because I was recreating something special for my husband and he is home 24/7 recuperating from an accident.  I had to have something to be working on so that I could on work on his project on the sly!  It was difficult, I was constantly listening for footsteps and would quickly swap out projects!  Stay tuned, I’m sure there will be a post!
In the meantime, here is Johnstown Christmas Room Box


So here is the letter that I wrote to go with my room box.  The picture was taken in Johnstown, PA...so of course that is the name of the room box.  






Johnstown Christmas

 

A picture gives us the ability to remember one second in time and reminds us of important moments. But a picture also has the ability to open the mind to memories surrounding the location, event and time. 


This Christmas picture in Johnstown, PA reminded me of a happy Christmas spent with family with the stockings hung on the fireplace, the lights strung on the tree and Dad’s trains set up and ready to make their circle around and around.  What an amazing snapshot in time.  But looking at that picture made me remember so much more. 

Johnstown was where the infamous popcorn incident occurred.  Oh yes, there was that year when we popped popcorn to make a popcorn string.  It would have been a lovely strand of popcorn if only good old Princess, our dog hadn’t decided to eat the popcorn off the string as fast as we were putting the popcorn on the string.    

I believe it was a Johnstown Christmas when we realized that tinsel on a tree is not a good thing when you have a cat in the house.  I won’t go into details and instead only say that  a good tug was needed…poor Frosty.    No more tinsel ever made it into our house for Christmas.

The nativity on the mantel in this picture was obviously arranged by mom.  We all know that everyone in the nativity should be looking at the tree! 


My bloomer stocking and the dogs bone stocking were Johnstown additions to our Christmas.

The more I look at the picture the more I remember,  Dad’s bells….Dad’s star and dad being a bah humbug throughout the tree decorating except for his bells and star.  The smell of Dad’s trains. (yes, they have a smell).  Making cut out cookies.  Trying to stay up with Alan to see our presents in the middle of the night.  So many memories flood back as I look at the picture. 

This gift combines some of those memories….

 



No comments:

Post a Comment