I measured the space where I thought the counter would be placed to get a rough idea of my dimensions and I sat down with a paper and pencil and drew out a rough sketch of the pieces that I would need to cut. My sketches were not at all fancy, as you can see they were done on notebook paper and not anything special. But it was enough to give me dimensions and an idea of the necessary pieces to cut.
I made sure to label each piece as I cut it and eventually I had every piece cut.
I chose to paint my piece in a brown paint. I was trying to go for a wood grain. I luckily had some brown paint in my stash, so I pulled it out.
Overall, I am happy with my general store counter and can't wait to really put it to use in the stonehouse quilt shop!