Sunday, May 3, 2020

Fabric for the quilt shop

I knew that I wanted an explosion of fabric in my quilt shop.   I wanted multiple bolts of fabric, fat quarters, scraps, you name it!  I want fabric everywhere!    I was so excited when it was actually time to start creating my mini versions of these items.   First up, bolts of fabric!!!

I started with bits and scraps of fabric that I had in my fabric bin (and that a friend generously donated to me).   I even occasionally pick up little scraps out the scrap bin at fabric stores.  

I quickly double checked my memory to verify the size of an average bolt of fabric.  I knew that for size, I just needed a very thin piece of cardboard.   I had some scrap cardboard leftover from within the packaging of an item that I had recently purchased!  Perfect!  I cut those pieces down into multiple mini bolts to attach my fabric to.  

I then took the scrapes of fabric and cut it  into strips the size of the bolt of fabric.   I varied the lengths, because I figured a true quilt shop/fabric store would have some thick almost new bolts of fabric and that they would also have some bolts of fabric that were almost sold out.   I started with a little glue on the cardboard and attached the fabric of the glued section.

I pressed down to make sure that it was securely attached.

And then I tightly rolled the fabric around the cardboard. 

I did this until I came to the end of the fabric. I applied another line of glue

And I carefully attached the loose end of the fabric to the bolt.  
At this point, I had completed my bolt of fabric!

I may place a small ‘pin’ in some bolts of fabric, but most of them will be displayed on a shelf and this a pin wouldn’t be visible  so I will not need that extra touch of realism!  
I did this over and over until I had a little mini pile of bolts of fabric.  

It will give me enough to complete the next step of my quilt shop!   I am so excited to share that with you!!!!  So stay tuned!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment