Sunday, May 24, 2020

StoneHouse Quilt Shop: Built on Display Shelves

I had a back corner in a room of the Stonehouse Quilts Fabric store.  It was empty and sparse and I decided that I wanted to build a shelving system to the right of the bay window.
I originally just wanted something to the right of the window, but then realized that I was aiming too small!  Wouldn't it look better if I put in a whole wall display case?  It would look more cohesive, but it would also cover the tabs under the bay window.  A Win WIn situation.

I went to work cutting.  I measured a line and then ran to my paper and drew it out.  And slowly I came up with a plan.  I started to cut.  There was no pattern.  I made it to fit my specific needs and house.
I started to cut.  I used mat board, so I knew that I wouldn't be out much money if my plans didn't work.  I would just be out my time....but I would have learned valuable lessons so that would be nice regardless.   I cut each piece and worked it out in my head as I went.
I labelled each piece carefully, 

When it was time for me to decide on where to put the actualy shelves within my system, I pulled out a few bolts of fabric and designed my shelves to be custom.  I wanted them to fit my bolts of fabric perfectly.

And then it was the moment of truth.  It was time to glue it all together.  I was nervous but forged ahead.   And admittedly, when I went to check the fit, I did have to do a wee bit of trimming. 
Once it fit exactly, it was time to paint!!!!   I went with a nice neutral gray paint that will highlight the bold colors of fabric that will be displayed.

It turned out better than I expected!   I still have lots more to put onto the shelves.  But I can honestly say that I love it!!!!


















3 comments:

  1. You did a splendid job! Not only did you not waste time or material, you learned that You Can Create Whatever You Dream and that is the most amazing feeling in the world! I love the built in look and the way you have incorporated beautifully the bay window! Excellent work and I am excited to see your next brilliant idea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I have been busy thinking of ways to fill up shelves and display things like tiny scissors!!

      Delete
  2. The shelf is perfect. It will add color, character, and depth to the room. Very nice.

    ReplyDelete