Thursday, May 28, 2020

A Miniature Crazy Quilt

I am well into the thick of things in regards to the creation of my StoneHouse Quilt Fabric Shop.  I have a lot of furniture built and in place.  I have been working on some of the smaller items needed to bring this miniature to life.  It was time to make a few quilts for display in the shop.

I have always absolutely loved quilts and it has always been on my bucket list to create a human sized crazy quilt.  When we went away a few months ago I took a picture of one in a museum that we visited.
So it should come as no surprise that one of my mini quilts for display would be a crazy quilt.  I really had no clue what I was doing!  NONE!  But I forged ahead with what seemed like a logical plan.

I started with a rectangle foundation of a thin white fabric and a table of small scraps of fabric.  I organized the fabric a bit so that I could quickly grab pieces that were different.

I know it doesn't look organized, but it was...at least for me!   I didn't throw anything away.  the pieces of fabric were tiny scraps that would normally have been thrown away!

I started with one small piece of scrap fabric up to the edge of the foundation fabric and held it in place with my fingers.  I then proceeded to do a small whip stitch on the outer edge of the scrap fabric. 

When that was securely attached to the foundation, I picked another piece of fabric and held it against the first piece of fabric.  I then did a light little whip stitch to attach the second piece of fabric to the first piece.  And then yes, you guessed it, I did the same thing with the third piece...and fourth piece.  I would whip stitch anything that was overlapping a previously attached piece of fabric.  

It was tedious, but it really did go fast!!!  I was done within a few days!  



When I was done, I just grabbed a neutral piece of fabric for backing and rolled the edge over to make a small sashing/binding around the edge.  And Voila!  Done!

I can't wait to see this in place, hanging in the quilt shop!  Soon.....

In the meantime, I am riding high on the success of my quilt  I have resisted putting any quilt on the rope bed in the Log Cabin,  

Why?  Because I love my bed so much!  However, I have already decided that I will be making another crazy quilt for that bed!  FINALLY, more than 5 years later, the rope bed will have a quilt!   I am also planning and thinking about other ideas for the quilt displays int he quilt shop!   I am only limited by my imagination!

6 comments:

  1. The quilt is absolutely charming! Great work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I KNOW that making your craziquilt was fun for you because your results are Fantastic!
    I've made only ONE ( back in the late 70's) but I never thought to sew the patches onto a backing, which makes far more sense then trying to sew them to each other!
    I hope you DO make another one for your rope bed because it is crying out for one! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will be starting on a second one sooner or later...hopefully sooner!

      Delete
  3. I love that quilt! It must have taken you forever but what an accomplishment. It could easily be mistaken for a real-life quilt. Great job. - Marilyn D.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really didn’t take too long. About 10 hours of work five or take!

      Delete